Wagner James Au, of the long-running SL blog New World Notes, reports that the Hangars Liquides sci-fi-themed sims in Second Life will likely be shutting down at the end of this month:
Hangars Liquides, a cyberpunk city created in Second Life by an elusive 3D artist known only to the SL community at large by her avatar name, “Djehan Kidd”, is among the virtual world’s greatest works — shadowy, moody, awesome.
Unveiled into the metaverse in June 2007, it has surely attracted hundreds of thousands if not millions of visits over its 12 year history. As its reputation spread through the virtual world, numerous cyberpunk roleplay groups flocked to it, adopted it as their oven, turning it into their staging ground for ongoing stories they created on the fly.
The blogpost includes an interview with the creator and an overview of the 12-year history of the project, so you might want to hop over to Wagner’s blog to read it in full.
I decided to transform into a cyborg and do a little exploring of Hangars Liquides before it goes away forever:
Vanity Fair is wearing:
- Animated Headpiece: Queen Sarra headpiece by Shu Mesh
- Cyborg Outfit with Skin Applier (Maitreya): Cyber Braver Lady by Bare Rose
- Cyborg Arm, Cyborg Mask with Scrolling Japanese Characters, and Animated Upper Arm Attachment: Cyborg Geisha outfit (I picked all these up years ago in a different sci-fi themed sim hunt)
- Cyber Prim Eye: by Omega Point (store no longer exists)
- Animated Belt: VK Belt by Shu Mesh
- Animation Override: Chubby Girl AO by [ImpEle] (free from the SL Marketplace). This is a nice, simple, calm, free AO with no crazy movements.
Vanity is also wearing:
- the Kimberly Catwa Bento mesh head
- the Maitreya Lara mesh body
- Daria skin by The Skinnery
- and my favourite forest green Darcey eyes by Suicidal Unborn
All pictures taken at Hangars Liquides.
UPDATE July 18th: Djehan Kidd has launched a crowdfunding initiative to save Hangars Liquides using Indiegogo. She has fifteen days to raise 6,000 euros (CDN$8,798) to keep the sims running for another year, and she is giving donors who give CDN$147 or more their own apartments in Hangars Liquides. So, if you’re interested, feel free to show your support.