Now that Linden Lab has launched the beta version of its Senra mesh starter avatars, I decided to take a stab at creating a comparison chart, comparing and contrasting six options for free or inexpensive (L$250 or less) female mesh bodies. (I will probably follow up with a similar chart for free/inexpensive male mesh bodies, female mesh heads, and male mesh heads.)
six seven mesh bodies I have chosen for this chart are:
- Senra Jamie, by Linden Lab (still beta and subject to change, of course!)
- Erika Zero, by Kalhene
- Atenea, by LucyBody
- Classic Meshbody (often referred to as TMP)
- eBody Classic (free version)
- eBody Curvy (free version)
- UPDATE Aug. 4th, 2023: After some hemming and hawing, I have decided to include the open-source Ruth 2.0 mesh bodies in this spreadsheet. You can find a list of vendors for Ruth 2.0-based mesh bodies here (scroll down to the Ruth2 section). While clothing specifically designed for Ruth 2.0 bodies is limited, with a good set of BoM/system alphas, some Maitreya Lara clothing and standard-size clothing does fit.
For each mesh body, I look at the following:
- Bakes on Mesh support
- Bento support
- Feet options and compatibility
- Mesh clothing compatibility (please note that all Bakes on Mesh bodies support BoM/system layer clothing; here are some places where you can find those)
- Mesh clothing availability (obviously a subjective estimate!)
You can view (but not edit) version 1.1 of my comparison chart here on Google Drive. I am open to suggestions for improving this chart, and I expect to keep it (somewhat) updated as the situation evolves over time. If you have any corrections, edits, or suggestions, please leave a comment, thanks!
UPDATE Sept. 14th, 2023: I have updated the comparison chart above to version 1.2, because somebody informed me that Kalhene is now charging L$99 to join the Erika group (it used to be L$50). Please note that the Flickr snapshots of the chart below have not been updated.
Here’s a snapshot of version 1.1 of the comparison chart, which you can view and download in full size over on Flickr if you, like me, find the fine print a little too small:
Note that I have deliberately excluded some mesh bodies, for example, the free Altamura bodies you can pick up at various locations (because you cannot change the skin, and you cannot use Bakes on Mesh with them). I have also left out those bodies which have poor or even non-existent third-party designer support. An example of this would be the Ultra Vixen mesh body, which is now only free to avatars under 30 days old and—as far as I am aware—only has clothing that fits it, which is made and sold by the body’s creator.
Looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions!