The Phantom of the Opera shopping event starts today (November 14th, 2020 at noon Second Life/Pacific Time) and runs until December 7th, 2020. As part of the event, there is a Phantom of the Opera Hunt, where you are searching for red, long-stemmed roses in participating stores. The hunt is free and, as you might expect, most of the wonderful prizes are strongly evocative of the smash Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. There’s just no way that I could not start doing this hunt immediately! The theme song alone just sends shivers up my spine (see video at the bottom of this blogpost).
Second Life – FREE is a little-known-about Russian-language group on Vkontakte, the Russian version of Facebook, which often lists items I don’t see on other Second Life freebie blogs. They have helpfully compiled pictures of the hunt items. There’s also a website with hunt hints, which states:
The hunt starts at the entrance to Enchantment. Simply click the hunt prim example by the Phantom of the Opera Hunt sign to receive your landmark to your first destination. You’ll be looking for a Rose in each of the stores you visit! The landmark to the next location will be located in the folder along with your prize. Hints can be found at each store by clicking the example on the hunt sign, alternatively you can use this page for hints.
Here’s your taxi to the shopping event, which is run by Enchantment (there are no hunt items hidden there).
Near the spawn point are two alcoves where you can view the entries of a photo contest (and really, what better place to recreate the surreal world of the Phantom of the Opera than in Second Life?). I want the gowns used in some of these photos!
Here Vanity Fair models a number of the hunt prizes. She is wearing six of them in this picture:
- Rose Hair Accessory: by Butanik83 (comes with a HUD with ten colour options)
- Mask: Gold Bird carnival mask by ANTAYA (resizable)
- Dress: Operetta dress by Fugue (comes in sizes to fit Maitreya Lara, Belleza Freya, and Slink Hourglass mesh bodies)
- Lace Gloves: by MOoh! (come in sizes to fit Maitreya Lara; Belleza Venus, Isis, and Freya; Slink Physique and Hourglass; and Meshbody Legacy mesh bodies)
- Fingernails: Music of the Night coffin nails by Witchcraft (comes in sizes to fit Maitreya, Belleza, Slink, Legacy, Tonic and Signature Alice hands; includes a HUD as pictured below)
- Candleholder with red candle and Bento pose: by Laminak
Here’s a closeup of the Music of the Night nails, plus the HUD to change their texture to any of six options:
And here Vanity models three more hunt gifts:
- Mask: the Phantom Mask by Harshlands (resizable; comes in two colours, white or black, each in bloody or clean versions)
- Floral Earrings: Barbara earrings by Chocolate Atlier (comes with a HUD with six different colours)
- Candelabra with hold animation: by NG Designs
Happy freebie hunting! The hunt is a bit challenging, so here’s my list of top six tips for Second Life hunts to help you.